- Parking for People with Disabilities
- Faculty/Staff Parking
- Parking Regulations: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Visitors
- Student Parking
- Special Restrictions - Football Home Games
- Snow Removal Guidelines
A state permit is required. When disabled parking spaces are full, please contact NDPD for further information on where to park. Do not use Reserved or Service Maintenance spaces.
Faculty/staff will be assigned to parking areas indicated on the decal issued. Movement between lots on the central campus will not be allowed except by special permission. “A” decals are valid in “B” lots. “B” decals are valid in any “B” lot. If a lot is overcrowded, go to the next available lot or contact Security/Parking for information about where to park. Decals will be re-issued annually.* “B” decals authorize parking on the central campus for 90 minutes* (total time) in non-reserved spaces for purposes of conducting official business. “B” decals are valid in central campus lots weekdays from 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. and all day on weekends. CENTRAL CAMPUS is an “A” lot or any area enclosed by gated entrances. Faculty and staff may not park in the Rugby or Wilson Student Lots off of Wilson Drive.
Faculty/Staff Parking Prohibitions
Parking is prohibited in the following areas:
- All no parking zones, loading zones, driveways, on grass, etc.
- Reserved lots/spaces not assigned to you including Morris Inn Guest Lot.
- All paved or unpaved areas of campus that are not clearly marked as a parking area.
- Handicapped zones without proper permit.
- Lost or stolen hangtags will be replaced with a window permit only.
- Parking in any roadway, driveway, sidewalk, grass area or any paved or unpaved area not specifically marked as a parking area is prohibited.
- Parking on campus without displaying a proper pass/decal is prohibited. This includes all student, faculty and staff lots. Exceptions to this rule include visitor parking in the Bookstore Lot and Legends Lot.
- Parking over yellow lines or in no parking zones; blocking vehicles, traffic, trash receptacles or loading zones/docks is prohibited.
- Parking in Handicapped space is restricted to special decal or state issued permit.
- Parking is reserved in all spaces at the rear of the Main Building. Parking at the Post Office is 15 minutes. All campus time zone spaces are enforced 24 hours every day. Time restrictions for vehicles apply to all spaces within the time zone area during a four-hour period.
- Decals must be properly displayed. Don’t tape or temporarily affix the decal — use all the adhesive of the decal. Hang tags are not authorized for students. Student decals must be affixed to driver’s side lower windshield.
- Visitors, guests, including parents, must obtain a guest pass. Passes are available at the Main Gate, East Gate, or from the Parking Office located in Hammes Mowbray Hall.
- Vehicles must maintain proper registration and be maintained in running condition. Storage of vehicles is not permitted in lots. Check on vehicles frequently i.e. every 48 hours.
- Saint Mary’s faculty/staff may park at Notre Dame under the same guidelines as those with “B” decals. Parking for Saint Mary’s students (with proper registration) Monday through Friday until 5 p.m. is in lot C1. On weekdays after 5 p.m. and on weekends, parking is also available in any “B” lot.
- Overnight RV parking is prohibited: not permitted on central campus.
- Motorcycles are permitted on central campus with a faculty/staff decal and are subject to rules applicable to other motor vehicles.
- Keep your vehicle in good operating condition, as poorly maintained vehicles can cause potential storm water runoff contamination, a serious environmental issue.
- Faculty, staff or student vehicles may display no more than one decal at the same time. Expired permits must be removed.
- Do not block any handicapped ramp, violators will be ticketed and towed.
- Service maintenance parking spaces are available for general parking from 4 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Bookstore lot 1 hour limit.
Registered vehicles will be assigned to specific parking areas. If lots are overcrowded, contact Security/Parking for information — do not park improperly. Students may use White Field lot (north or south of Douglas Road) on days of home football games.
Students may only register vehicles belonging to them or their immediate families. Exceptions must be approved by the Parking Manager. Refer to Security for more information.
Handicapped spaces are provided at various locations; contact Security/Parking for more information.
For students, gate officers may grant special permission for a one hour pass (60 minutes) for entry to campus. Such permission is for loading or unloading but not for parking on campus. Student vehicles entering campus must obtain and display a valid special pass at all times. Staying overtime on campus will result in a fine.
Special permission requiring more than 60 minutes should be obtained well in advance from the director of Security.
ALL STUDENTS PARKING IN A CAMPUS LOT AT ANY TIME, MUST DISPLAY A VALID PARKING PERMIT.
Students will be assigned to parking areas indicated on the decal issued and should park in those lots. A special "GU" permit is required to park in the Rugby and Wilson Student lots off of Wilson Drive.
Movement between lots can be as follows: “C” permits can park in “D” lots (except Rugby and Wilson Student lots without "GU" permit); “D” can park in “C” lots. “Fischer” can park in “C” and “D” lots (except Rugby and Wilson Student lots without "GU" permit). “Village” can only park at University Village and Cripe Street Apartments.
Student Parking Prohibited
Parking is prohibited in the following areas:
- Faculty/staff/visitor lots from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and any spaces/lots reserved by sign. Rules are enforced on holidays.
- Main Circle, Morris Inn, Legends lot and Post Office lot.
- 90 minunte spaces throughout campus from 8AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday.
- Special passes are required to park in any central campus lot.
- St. Joseph Hall and Moreau Seminary lots.
- Our Lady of Fatima Property.
- WNDU lots.
- Faculty Circle north of stadium as posted.
- Galvin Life Science lot and Jordan Hall lot, including the one-hour, and 90 minute spaces.
- Fire or traffic lanes, any paved or non-paved areas of campus that are not clearly designated as parking areas.
- Saint Mary’s College prohibits student vehicles parking in the Convent area, which includes the entire southwestern portion of campus area. Signs clearly mark this area. Parking is also prohibited adjacent to residence halls at Saint Mary’s College except when vehicle is being loaded/unloaded. Contact Saint Mary’s Security Office at (574) 284-5000 when parking a vehicle to load or unload or for additional information about parking at Saint Mary’s College.
- Individually signed spaces are enforced, as marked.
- Students are prohibited from using proximity gate cards or any electronic device to open any access gate.
- Do not park on end caps (end of rows-or driving lane in lot).
Parking is prohibited after 6am on Saturdays of home football games without special football parking pass in all B and C lots, Raclin Carmichael Hall, Library Circle, Dorr Road parrellel parking lot, and parking areas on the Moose Krause Drive and west of the Hesburgh Center. Vehicles left in the above listed lots will be towed at the owners expense beginning at 6am. Student parking is available in Rugby and Wilson Student lots ( special D2 decal required ), Lake and Dorr Road lots, D Bulla lot, White Field, and at graduate residences (with appropriate decal). Student parking without special passes is prohibited in all other areas on game day. Four hours prior to kick off and at least two hours after the game ends, special traffic restrictions are imposed on roads near campus by University, local and state police. Regular faculty/staff and student parking assignments are not available game day. No overnight parking with a game day hang tag. Please follow directions of police. Most roads leading to campus become one-way and motorists must follow directions of police officers. Access to campus lots is restricted to a special pass during one-way traffic pattern. Motorcycles, vehicles with trailers and large trucks are prohibited in all lots on game day. RV parking on game day is allowed only from 7:45am to three hours after the game in the NDFCU lot. All lots close three hours after the game.
Effective January 1 through March 15, special guidelines are in effect to assist Landscape Services/Athletic Fields crews with plowing of the lots. Any vehicle left in the faculty/staff lots after midnight may be towed at owner's expense to another University parking area. Exceptions would be for those working a shift during these times. We ask that workers park in the middle of the lot so that the curblines can be properly cleared. All vehicles must display a valid parking permit. To further assist, vehicles parked on roadways, sidewalks, loading zones, time zones and traffic circles, will be towed.
Student parking lots will be plowed when passage becomes difficult or hazardous and the faculty/staff lots are cleared. Normally this would occur 36 to 48 hours after a significant snowfall. Major snowstorms will delay this process.
Once Resident Assistants receive notice to move student vehicles so a specific lot may be plowed, students will have until the designated time given in the notice to move their vehicle to a specified area. All vehicles must be removed from the designated temporary lot within 24 hours or whenever normal assigned lots are clear, whichever comes first.
In some lots, spaces along curblines may be restricted to parking for snow removal. Signs will be posted and vehicles parked in these spaces may be towed at the owner’s expense. Shovels will be available at Landscape Services and Security for those who can not wait for lots to be cleared.
Do not park on end caps (end of rows, or driving lane in lot).