Moving Traffic Violations
Everyone is expected to comply with Indiana law regarding the safe and lawful operations of a motor vehicle. The motor vehicle code is enforced on campus.
- Access to the central campus is via the Main Gate and the East Gate and then only by permission. Access via any other gates or by sidewalks, etc., is prohibited unless specific permission has been granted.
- Speed limits on campus are 20 miles per hour. Limits on roadways adjacent to campus are posted.
- Indiana law requires seatbelt use. IC 9-19-10 Buckle up for safety!
Vehicles may be towed away or immobilized at the owner’s expense for the following reasons with no liability by the University:
- Parking on roadways, sidewalks, grass areas, driveways or fire lanes.
- Any vehicle owned or operated by a person whose vehicle(s) has been issued over four citations (fiscal year for faculty/staff; academic year for students).
- Any vehicle not displaying proper parking decal or in unauthorized areas.
- Any vehicle parked in violation of Special Football Parking Restrictions or snow removal guidelines.
- Any vehicle blocking trash receptacles or loading areas.
- Any vehicle parked in handicapped spaces without designated permit.
- Any abandoned or junk vehicles. (Refer to Indiana Laws.)
- Any reserved space or area.
Note that the towing company charges a daily storage fee in addition to a fee for towing.
Payment of fines, penalties and appeal process
The first parking citation is generally considered a warning and no fine is assessed. University parking citations must be paid or appealed at the Parking Office, Hammes Mowbray Hall, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. Payments or appeals must be filed within 10 days of occurrence. Unpaid student fines will be placed on the student’s account after 10 days. All faculty and staff members must pay fines or file appeals within the same prescribed time periods. No hangtag will be issued to faculty or staff with unpaid fines.
Card Access to Lots
Cards used to access various lots on campus are issued by parking services to authorized faculty, staff and selected graduate students. Cards are not transferable and may only be used by the person to whom it was issued. A fee is charged for replacement of lost or stolen cards. Cards issued to those without current decals may be deactivated.