Violations, Towing & Penalties
As a courtesy, the first citation of the academic year will be automatically reduced to a warning with no balance due.
|No Valid Permit||$80.00|
|Permit Improperly Affixed||$40.00|
|Not Parked In A Defined Space||$80.00|
|Parked In A Reserved Space||$80.00|
|Parked In A Handicap/ADA Space||
First offense: $80.00
Second offense: $100.00
Three or more: $120.00
|Reserved Parking - Major Events||$80.00|
|Parked Over Time||$40.00|
|Parked In A Snow Removal Zone||$40.00|
|Parked In A Maintenance Space||$80.00|
Payment of Fines, Submitting an Appeal
Failure to abide by the University' s Parking Rules and Regulations may result in a parking citation.
The first parking citation issued to your vehicle within the academic year is generally* reduced to a warning with no fine assessed. Your vehicle must be registered through ParkND to take advantage of this courtesy warning.
*Certain violations are not eligible. Check ParkND or call our office with any questions.
Any additional parking citations must be paid or appealed within 10 days of receipt. Unpaid student fines will automatically be placed on the student’s account after 10 days. Faculty and staff must pay fines or file appeals within the same prescribed time periods. Parking permits are not issued to those with outstanding citation balances.
How to Appeal
1) Scan the QR code on the back of the citation, or visit ParkND
2) Enter the Citation Number or License Plate Number listed on the citation
3) Click "Appeal"
Appeals must be submitted within 10 calendar days of the date of issue.
Following the submission of your appeal, it will be reviewed by the Appeals Board. Appeals Board decisions are final. The Board is comprised of members of the Notre Dame faculty, staff, and student body. Note: No one from the Notre Dame Police Department or Notre Dame Parking Services sits on the Appeals Board. The decision of the Appeals Board will be communicated to you via email either to your Notre Dame email address or the email address you have provided (guests & visitors only).
Moving Traffic Violations
Everyone is expected to comply with Indiana law regarding the safe and lawful operations of a motor vehicle. The Indiana motor vehicle code is enforced on campus.
- Access to the central campus is via the Main Gate and the East Gate and then only by permission. Access via any other gates or by sidewalks, etc. is prohibited unless specific permission has been granted.
- Speed limits on campus are 20 miles per hour. Limits on roadways adjacent to campus are posted.
- Indiana law requires seatbelt use. IC 9-19-10 Buckle up for safety!
Towing and Impounds
Vehicles may be towed away or immobilized at the owner’s expense for the following reasons with no liability by the University:
- Parking on roadways, sidewalks, grass areas, driveways or fire lanes.
- Any vehicle owned or operated by a person whose vehicle(s) has been issued over four citations within the academic year (resets in August).
- Any vehicle parked in violation of Special Event or Football Parking Restrictions or snow removal guidelines.
- Any vehicle blocking trash receptacles or loading areas.
- Any vehicle parked in handicapped spaces without designated permit.
- Any abandoned or junk vehicles. (Refer to Indiana Laws.)
- Any reserved space or area.
Note that the towing company charges a daily storage fee in addition to a fee for towing.
If you believe your vehicle has been towed, contact the Notre Dame Police Department at 574-631-5555.